Saturday, October 22, 2011

Friday Night Sew In Results

Complete with crappy cell-phone pictures!

The husband has been camping this week, so I have been on a crazy sew-a-thon, complete with finally participating in the Friday Night Sew-In at Handmade by Heidi!
You can check out everyone else's progress on the link at Crafty Vegas Mom this week.

As posted on Wednesday or so, I'm finally tackling the Kaleidoscope QAL that has been sitting on my wall forever. Since the husband is camping, my camera is with him, so you're stuck with cell-phone photos until he comes back with the camera.
A refresher on what the fabric actually looks like with a normal camera:



Bold, deep, rich. Lola's Posies by Riley Blake Designs.

So, I hadn't pieced a bit of this at all. Late Thursday night, I finished up the top:


So my Friday Night Sew-in was completely devoted to the back!

I only bought two yards for the back, and the quilt is about 60" wide, so I needed to piece it. I love a pieced backing, so that's no problem.
I decided to tackle the ever-popular Swoon blocks. Now.. I'm a cheapie. I didn't buy the pattern. That means my lunch break on Friday went to figuring out the math. Good thing I got it right, I didn't really have any spare scraps from my Lola's Posies to be messing around with!!

After a lot of cutting, a sore wrist, loads of HST assembly using the square method, and about 3 hours, I had one block. One.


Grumble.

It was 11 PM when this was finished. I had hoped to have all three blocks I needed done by 11!!
Well.. they said sew til you drop, so I did.
Two more hours went by and I finally had my quilt back done!



Somehow, I feel like that doesn't look like much progress, but it was about 5 hours solid!

KSQA is now basted and ready to quilt!

6 comments:

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I dunno--that's a lot of piecing in there! Looks like plenty to me. Beautiful!

Heidi Grohs said...

I hear you Bree! I thought I was going to be done piecing and quilting Thursday night. When 2:30am rolled around and I couldn't keep my eyes open, I had to call it quits! I did finish piecing, but only quilted about 1/4 of the quilt. Oh well!!

Jandi said...

Gorgeous! And I love the swoon blocks too. I just bought this pattern (I'm too lazy to try to figure it out on my own) and I can't wait to make a few blocks!

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

The blocks are beautiful and well worth the time it took to make them! Lovely work...

Jody Herbert said...

Wow - those blocks look fantastic. It definately makes a great back to that quilt! A very successful FNSI!

Cherise said...

Love the blocks! Sorry they took so long. :( They are beautiful though! Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower! Have a Wonderful Day! :

Post a Comment