Tuesday, December 6, 2011

T-Shirt Quilt, Done and Done!


It's done! Yay! And just in time for Christmas, whew!

It was too big to hang, I had to fold it over the line!

I totally felt like I finished this one twice. Not because it was time consuming, but because it was given to me twice to work on!

The story behind this one is that a friend of mine from my local stitch and bitch, and also an employee of the quilt shop where I attend said stitch and bitch, was given this commissioned job from a friend of her family's. She just didn't have the time to work on it though so it sat in the store for a couple of months. She approached me and asked if I would be interested in doing the job for the commission. Well, with Christmas right around the corner, who can't use the extra cash? 

Oh look, the sun tried to come out to play!

Having never done a t-shirt quilt before though I was a bit nervous. One of the other ladies there was a pro though and she gave me all the tips and tricks I needed. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be! Ironing on all of the interfacing wasn't that fun, but I popped in a movie and it was a breeze.

The customer designed every bit of this quilt, down to the order of the t-shirts. I was basically just the labor, lol.

I pieced the breast piece from the front of each shirt into the backing

Once I had the top and backing pieced I sent it back to my friend at the LQS and she quilted it on the longarm machine per the customer's request. 

Then back to me for the binding and the rest is history!

Sorority shirts
It's made up completely of the daughter's sorority shirts, what a great memento of her college years! I really hope she loves it.

In other news, Bree and I finally got our little blog up on Facebook! You can find us here:


Or by clicking on the link over there in the right column ----->

Oh, and one more thing!! I changed the blog around a little bit again. I was worried that having three columns made it a little difficult to read. I removed one of the columns and added some tabs to making browsing cleaner and easier. SO, if you're reading this in your reader, click on through and take a look. We'd love to hear what you think!



4 comments:

Heidi Grohs said...

Love the quilt! And the two columns!!!

Megan said...

Oooh, I love the column of breast swatches (<-- that sounds wrong, haha) on the back!

Leanne said...

The t-shirt quilt looks great, you did a lovely job. And your blog looks great.

Alli said...

Great job with the t-shirt quilt! Your blog looks nice with the two columns. :)

Post a Comment